The Vanguard™ is shown here with "Black Cherry" finish and optional Warverly™ tuners machines
- Top plate of finest grade quartersawn spruce, hand carved and tap tuned
- Back plate of highly figured maple, hand carved and tap tuned
- Sides of highly figured maple
- Neck of highly figured maple
- Angle cut and tapered peghead*
- Hand sawn and engraved Apitius pearl shell flowerpot inlay on headstock**
- Peghead veneer of dyed pearwood over 4 plys of alternating maple veneers on face with single ply of dyed pearwood on back
- Fingerboard of genuine ebony with a standard conical (compound) radius of 7 1/4” (184mm) - 12" (305mm)
- Mother-of-pearl position markers
- "Top bound" body with "side bound" fingerboard and peghead
- Schaller™ GrandTune® tuning machines with 18:1 gearing
- Customised James™ tailpiece
- Width at nut: 29mm (1 5/32”)
- Scale length: 355mm (14")
- Adjustable truss rod (double rod design does not add compression force to the neck)
- Hand applied stain and shading in choice of "Cremona Brown" or "Black Cherry"
- Spirit varnish finish applied by hand in the traditional French polish method
- Hot hide glue construction throughout.
- TKL® hardshell, arched-top case
- Limited Lifetime Warranty
** Hand sawn and engraved Apitius flowerpot headstock inlay of mother-of-pearl and abalone shell
The Vanguard™ is modelled after the '22-23 Loars. These early Loars usually had a "top bound" body together with a "side bound" fingerboard and headstock. Well seasoned woods are used throughout. Tops and backs are meticulously carved by hand and expertly graduated using my patent pending, "Apitius Arching". The majority of mandolins produced since the 1930s have been shaded using spray techniques. Prior to that, the shading was applied by hand. To more closely replicate the look of the original 1920s F-5s, my stains are applied by hand rubbing the stain directly on the wood. Likewise, the spirit varnish finish is also hand applied using the French polish method. French polishing not only produces an extremely clear and luminous finish, it allows for a very thin film thickness that is virtually acoustically transparent, giving the instrument a vibrancy and resonance not possible by production finishing methods.
Click to enlarge the above images.
Details Included with All Apitius F-Style Mandolins
Includes Custom fitted Hoffee™ carbon fiber case with "Apitius Mandolin Co." logo